9.19.2005

I am Sixteen, going on Seventeen.

Or at least that's how I felt this weekend.

Cal and I decided to meet up in our hometown of Thomasville this weekend. Have I told y'all that we're from the same place? Went to high school together? Triple-dated to prom with each other, he with my rival flautist and me with his childhood friend/baseball buddy (and my former boyfriend of six years)? Anyway, Thomasville is just about halfway between where he lives (Fort Walton Beach; 3 hour drive) and Macon (2.5 hour drive); plus, both of our parents still live there and, therefore, we have free places to stay. It just made sense.

What I didn't factor into the equation, though, was how much being back in a dating scenario in Thomasville would take me back 10 years to my teenage days, the last time that I was in such a situation. Let me give you a few examples:

On Friday afternoon, my mother was out of town and my dad was at work, and when Cal stopped by for a few minutes to say hello before meeting his best friend, Brian, for lunch, I almost stopped him at the door to say, "Sorry, Cal, but I'm not allowed to have boys over when my parents aren't home."

I found myself catching my breath when I looked at my watch Friday night over at his parents' house and discovered that it was 11:03... the dreaded 3 minutes past my high school curfew.

We had discussions about where we wanted to watch the Tennessee/Florida game: with his dad, or with mine?

In spite of these flashbacks to the stressful years of dating so closely under my strict parents' watchful eyes, we had a great weekend. We went to our high school football game Friday night (my first since I graduated in 1996; see picture below) and I was caught offguard when a very young-looking cheerleader asked us very politely if it was our first THS game, and we had to explain that, no, we were actually students there 10 years ago. 10 years! I was able to have dinner Friday night and lunch Saturday with his parents. Was it a "meet the parents" type of scenario? I don't really know... does that phrase qualify if his dad was my 3rd grade PE coach? I got to catch up with Cal's best friend Brian (also a high school friend of mine; he and his date were the third couple on prom night) and meet his new wife over a nice dinner Saturday night. We had a great lunch with my parents yesterday after church, and the weekend ended in a very South Georgia way: sitting and talking under a pinetree by a pond out in the country.

So, for those of you who have asked, things are going well.

In spite of the fact that we're no longer sixteen.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Yeah, the 16-year-olds don't have the market cornered on that stuff, do they? Glad you had a good weekend. Sounds like a good old South GA time fo' sho.

Nellie said...

Yaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!

blondsurgeon said...

Did you mean to dress alike?

Janet said...

beth you crack me up

miriam said...

We were wearing our "I'm-a-THS-Bulldog" red, of course!

(actually, in keeping with the teenybopper theme of the weekend, I called him on my clear, neon phone and told him what to wear so that we would match.)

ha!

Rebecca said...

Love it, love it.