3.23.2006

Comfort or style?

The weather this time of year drives me a little nuts.

Don't get me wrong; I love the Spring! However, with the beautiful blue skies, the chirping birds, and the cherry trees and dogwoods in full bloom comes the time most dreaded by those who attempt to clothe themselves with some semblance of style. Let me explain.

It's March 23, right? The first day of the season known for all things green and sunny and warm was three days ago. I look outside the heavy, concrete door to my classroom (no windows, ugh) and see what appears to be a typical Spring day. However, I step outside and just about freeze to death. It's in the mid-50's out there; not cold for, say, a New Englander, but for us Georgians, it's frigid.

I'm wearing thick black pants (made of some type of cordoroy-ish material), a warm sweater, and black boots. The student sitting at the desk closest to mine is in a knee-length skirt, t-shirt, and flip flops. Half the kids/teachers here are dressed like I am; half are dressed like the aforementioned girl. Who is more seasonably appropriate? Beats me.

This is all on my mind, you see, because I'm in the process of packing for my Spring Break trip to Destin. I'm thinking Florida, white sands, warm sun, crystal clear water, so I should pack shorts, tank tops, and my new (scary) bikini. Right? However, I check the weather and see temps in the low 60's for the weekend, in spite of sunny skies. Is 63 degrees in Florida the same as 63 degrees here? If so, there will be no beach for me, not to mention the shorts, the tank tops, and the scary bathing suit.

These projected temperatures beg another question: is it appropriate to wear wintery-type clothing in Florida in March? The last time I was there, I wore a skirt and tall boots and my denim jacket (with a top underneath, of course) to church with Cal. This was the first weekend in March, so I didn't think much about it. However, the other girls in his Sunday School class were wearing spring-like dresses with sandals and flip flops. I felt like the landlocked Georgian that I was.

So... to freeze for the sake of fitting in with the Spring fashions? Or do I go for warmth and comfort with my closed-toe shoes and long sleeves? Sigh.

It sure is hard being this cute. HA!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's why i always overpack! i think i would end up taking 2 weeks worth of clothes, one warm & sunny weather & 1 cool weather...
boys so do not have this problem!

Rebecca said...

It gets wierder. Up here in the mountains, it's supposed to be in the low 50's/upper 40's this week. But I have no internet where I'm housesitting to check the moment-by-moment temperature, and so exited the house today in a sweater... to warm, sunny t-shirt weather. And tomorrow it is supposed to snow.

(Have fun at the beach! Am envious.)

Janet said...

i saw a kid wearing flip flops and a sweather today...I was like...pick a season!
only a 1/2 day left and then it is SPRING BREAK!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Floridians never got the fashion memo that we Southern girls were raised on...no open toed shoes, no summer clothes until AFTER Easter, no matter if Easter fall the first of March or the end of July :) Trust me, the spring break crowd at Destin will be wearing the tshirts, flip flops, and summer attire no matter the temp! It's the beach.