11.26.2007

Go Figure.

Oprah came to Macon.

Oh yes, it's true. Those of you who know me know my guilty pleasure ... curling up with a diet coke and watching Oprah on a weekday at 4 pm. Yes, she's got her theology totally wrong. Yes, she's a diva. Yes, she's likely overbearing and arrogant and b****y, and yes she's probably the antichrist. But I love her.

So did I get tickets to her show? Stalk her at her hotel? Follow her entourage around for the 3 days she was here?

Nope.

I left town.

Yep. I went to New York City on a conference with the English department. Sure, it was fun. Kind of. Broadway was on strike. We were in meetings all day. And Oprah was in Macon.

It was probably the one time in the history of my life here that I haven't wanted to be anywhere but Macon. And I was out of town. Sigh.

Oh, and did I mention that she taped her favorite things show while she was here? Uh huh. Yes, that one where she gave away the refrigerator with the television set in it. And the high definition camcorder. That's right. That's the one.

Tomorrow's (Tuesday's) show is all about the behind-the-scenes, how she pulled it off stuff. So tune in, and see Macon at what is hopefully (but unlikely) its best.

Just don't waste your time looking for me in the background.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

That's pretty funny, Miriam.

Anonymous said...

I wondered if you saw her. Jay's step-sister, Laurie, lives in Johnson City, TN and happened to be in Macon that weekend and saw her at a restaurant! What are the odds!?! I just knew you'd seen her too!!! Too funny-I'm sure she'll be back, as much as she likes Macon! Love ya, Lela