This is the very first time that an out-of-town friend of mine (not relative) has come to stay (Macon isn't exactly a tourist town), and in my excitement, I went a little overboard in tonight's supper preparations. The produce aisle at Kroger was chock full of tempting summer vegetables, and rather than make decisions, I just decided to cook everything that looked appetizing.
Her arrival is due within the hour, and awaiting us in the kitchen are chicken and rice, cream peas, squash casserole, blueberry AND blackberry muffins, sauteed okra (Cal's fave), and a tomato/cucumber/feta salad. For dessert, it's strawberry shortcake.
I was feeling like quite the Southern hostess, complete with fresh sheets in the guestroom; clean, folded towels on the bed; a variety of lotions and bath goodies in the guest bathroom; and, best of all, a summer feast to satisfy even the hungriest appetite.
That is, until I got an email from my sister, a how-to on making my mother's delicious homemade strawberry fig jam. It ended in this, matter-of-fact way:
To sterilize jars and seals: Boil seals and tops, tongs, and whatever instrument you use to pour the jelly from the pot into the jar. Then put the jars in the dishwasher and run it. It needs to coincide with the jam on the stove. Need to keep the jars hot. So, if the dishwasher gets done early, keep it on a heat dryer cyle. Take jars out one at a time, fill it with jam, and then wipe down the lip of the jar and around. Using the tongs get a top and seal and place on the
jar. Twist it on but not too tight and then turn it upside down. Leave it upside down for about a minute and then flip it back over. Always replace the tong back into the pot of water to resterilize them between each use. Repeat.
I'm breaking out into a cold sweat just reading it. Forget my vain thoughts from earlier in the day. If being a Southern girl depends on one's ability to sterilize and seal jam jars, this girl-from-the-South is farther from her arrival than she originally thought. Sigh.
7 comments:
It wasn't that bad at all - then again that was having three type A's in the kitchen running the show.
It sounds more complicated than it is, but I wanted to be very explicit in the directions because some of yall will never make it until mom has gone and who knows where Amy and I might be. Julie
To clarify Julie's statement. It's not that I'll never make it until mom has gone (morbid), it's just that I'll never make it period.
Um, so when can we come visit the veritable Bed & Breakfast (or Bed & Supper?) that is Miriam's house? My bags are packed.
Rebecca, Come quickly, because it sounds like I'm a "goner"! Good grief! By the way, the preserves are delish as well as safe to consume!
I can attest to the excellent quality of Miriam's feast! I think I ate most of the squash casserole on my own... she didn't even mention breakfast, which was equally awesome!
A bit depressing with the talk of your mom (and me as well, probably) being gone!) I better pick up the exercising and weights for us old people so I can "stay young"
Post a Comment