One of the strangest parts about this pregnancy so far has been my appetite. Back in the first few weeks, I (along with everyone else who's ever been pregnant) couldn't eat a thing. I wouldn't get physically sick, necessarily; my stomach would just churn at the thought of most foods.
I made the mistake of going overboard with the foods that I could stomach. For example, about 5 or 6 weeks in, I made a batch of Rebecca's delicious tomato soup, and I ate it, along with a handful of goldfish crackers, for nearly a week. Cal even bought a HUGE, family-size goldfish carton for me to snack on, since it seemed at the time like it would be the food that would carry me through.
I haven't been able to even think about tomato soup OR goldfish crackers since that week. We still have the carton, 90% full, sitting in our pantry, now 3 months later.
I had similar experiences with a couple of other usually delicious foods. Cal's mom's recipe for homemade mac and cheese, for one (I ate an entire bowl of it for a meal during that period and haven't touched the stuff since), and the Mexican chicken soup from any of the Mexican restaurants that Cal likes to frequent. That's really too bad for him, of course ... the soup was pretty much the only thing I'd eat at El Azteca.
Nowadays, my sickness is gone, but my appetite is still not up to par. I keep waiting for the onslaught of cravings and hunger to kick in, but nothing's happened yet. I've had an aversion to meat -- chicken in particular -- and, perhaps strangest of all, I've not been a big ice cream fan of late. My ever-present sweet tooth seems to have disappeared. Cal will pick up a pack of cookie dough from Kroger, I'll bake him a few, and not ever have one bit of a desire to eat any myself. Kinda scary, if you ask me.
For lunch, I've been existing on peanut butter, mayonnaise, and banana sandwiches. Today at school I had my sandwich only partially prepared, with the PB on one side and the mayo on the other, the banana on my tray next to my plate. You should've heard the squeals from the kids in line around me. "EEEeeeew! Is that peanut butter and mayonnaise? Gross!" I think they contributed it to my pregnancy, but I grew up on that combo. I didn't even realize that the addition of mayonnaise was strange to others. It was just part of the banana sandwich in the Terry household.
Tonight, in an effort to cook more, I made my mother's meatloaf (the only kind I'll eat), much to Cal's dismay. He insists that he detests meatloaf, but when probed about it, he admits that the only time he ever ate it was in elementary school at his cafeteria and it was disgusting. I insisted that anything from the school cafeteria was pretty nasty, which prompted a starry-eyed look in his eyes as he told a far-fetched tale of the chef named Gloria who was, he proclaims adamantly, the best cafeteria-chef he's ever known. Fine. Whatever. More for me.
Anyway, the meatloaf turned out well, Cal didn't touch it, and I've got leftovers and a second currently freezing for later use. I just can't do chicken, and we're sick of the same old restaurants every night.
Supposedly, I can start feeling the baby kick any day now, but I might not recognize it when it happens. I've felt some "flutters" (similar to a little muscle twitch in your eyelid or something), but perhaps they've just been part of the digestion process, or remnants of the most recent iron pill working its sadistic magic. I figure that soon, I'll get one that's unmistakable. Currently, the reality of the baby hasn't sunk in, and maybe it'll happen then.
This has perhaps been the most random blog post, hasn't it? Oh well. If you've made it this far, you've done well.
In other news, Cal and I went to Jekyll Island last weekend for a wedding, and had a really good time. Our only regret is that we couldn't really justify splurging on a nice place to say, therefore ending up at the Days Inn. I'm sure it was fine for a place of its caliber. However, I'm a priceline.com girl, and for the same amount of money I was sure missing my down comforter, crisp white bedding, interior doors, and all the other luxuries of a fantastic hotel! We made the mistake Saturday night of going over to the Jekyll Island Club (where the wedding was held) and walking around a bit. After that, we really regretted not spending the extra cash for a bit of heavenly pampering.
We're talking about going on a "babymoon" of sorts around Christmas, kind of a last nice vacation before the kid changes everything. Maybe by saving a little money last weekend, we've got enough left over for a nice place in Charleston, or New Orleans, or ... I don't know ... Las Vegas. (You hear me, Cal? Bette won't be there much longer ... please?)
Guess that's it for the night. Cal's off playing tennis, and I have to stay awake long enough to watch Grey's Anatomy at 9, so this has been a good little diversion from the usual Food Network and King of Queens on the television. Until next time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Cal, I don't eat meatloaf either. I think it's disgusting! It must be a Powell thing.
A babymoon sounds divine.
Post a Comment