1.04.2009

Nesting

Given my track record for housework, I didn't know if it would ever kick in. However, throughout the last month or so, that nesting instinct that everyone goes on about seems to have taken root deep within me.

Cal and I have a wonderfully charming, old 1920's era house in the semi-historic district of Macon. Back before we were married, when Cal was looking to buy into the real estate here, I shamelessly (and hopefully subtly) pushed him in this direction, as I had hopes at the time that the house he'd end up buying would one day be mine, too. My efforts were successful, and I was ecstatic when he closed on what is now our home.

He has two big gripes about the old house style: small bathrooms and miniscule closet space. My gripe is confined to the latter, especially as I've never experienced the ensuite bathroom luxury that he had in his new, pre-fab home in Florida.

The lack of closet space didn't really bother me before I got pregnant. Cal had his tiny little closet in our bedroom, I had my tiny little closet in the spare room, and we shared a tiny little closet in the guest room for coats, formal attire, and other rarely-worn items. Now, however, things are different.

Seeing as how all of our closets (plus drawer-space) were stuffed full of our things, little Parks Powell was looking towards a future of baby clothes, shoes, blankets, pack-n-plays, strollers, bouncers, swings, etc. strewn throughout every ounce of open space in his little nursery. That just wasn't going to work.

So, starting at my Thanksgiving break, I set out on a mission to find space (any space) in which we'd be able to stash baby stuff. I began by cleaning out my closet and dresser drawers, putting everything that I'm not currently wearing (ie, all non-maternity or non-XL regular clothing) in the attic. I got rid of about 15 pairs of shoes and 10 or so purses, some of which Elizabeth took back to her house for her own use.

I then turned to Cal's closet. From that venture, we ended up taking probably 20 pairs of pants that he has never worn in the 3+ years I've known him to the Goodwill. It was difficult for him, a bit of a packrat, but he sucked it up and handled it pretty well in the end.

Today, we tackled our extra closet and ended up clearing it completely out (except for the clothes on the hanging rod), and hopefully its top and bottom will leave enough room for storage of the larger baby items like the pack-n-play and stroller. We'll see.

The Powells gave us an old armoire that they had stopped using, so Parks's hang-ups will go there. He's got my old chest of drawers for his fold-ups, blankets, etc. I hope, for all of our sakes, that it will be enough.

All total, we've filled up 5 large rubbermaid containers for the attic and supplied 96% of Macon's Goodwill shoppers with their wardrobe and accessories for the year.

On the other hand, we've got no diapers, Diaper Champ (apparently the better alternative to the Diaper Genie), diaper bag, bedding, mattress, mattress pad, changing table pad, moniters, pacifiers, burp cloths, infant tub, baby shampoo/soap/detergent, wipes, or any other such practical necessities for a newborn baby.

Less than 3 months to go. I'd best get back to nesting...

4 comments:

Rebecca D. Martin said...

I am impressed, Miriam.

And envious of your super-cool vintage house. I want one. Even with scant closet space. And - I *like* teeny twenties bathrooms. They're so pleasant and endearing.

Anonymous said...

You'll have more than you can ever use (well, maybe not diapers!) before you know it. We can't wait!!

Mari's Paradise Images said...

Two words.....Sam's Club.
I have an extra card you can use if you come this way before Parks arrives.
Buy in bulk for diapers....have no fear, you'll use them :)

Carrie said...

I love the tiny little icon of a baby floating in the (womb??) to the left of this page. Amazing.