2.24.2009

Bonus!

I got my second jury summons in a 2-month span of time the other day. The first time, I got a deferral because it was the last day of the quarter at school, and I couldn't get out of class. This time, I wasn't sure I'd be so lucky.

However, yesterday at my bi-weekly doctor's appointment, I was scheduling all of my visits several weeks in advance. Turns out that the only time they could take me for my 36-week appt (which includes a sonogram, doctor's visit, AND the 30-minute non-stress test*) was on the same day that I had been summoned. When I hemmed and hawed a bit about it, the nurse very nonchalantly said, "Oh, well, we'll just write you a medical excuse and get you on out of that jury duty." Nice.

I called the clerk's office today to see if I still needed to come in on the assigned day, doctor's note in hand. When I told her my predicament ("Um, I'm 8 months pregnant and have 3 procedures scheduled at the doctor's office that day."), the lady promptly and sweetly replied "Well, I think you'd better not come to jury duty, don't you?"

I explained to her that I couldn't take another deferment, as the next time I'd be even more out-of-commission with a newborn on my hands. After asking me my plans for post-maternity leave (ie, "Are you going to be a stay-at-home mom?") and hearing my affirmative response, she then gave me the best news of the day.

"Well, honey," she said, "a stay-at-home mom gets removed from the list until her child is 6 years old."

Hallelujah! So, not only am I out of jury duty for March 9th, but I'm out of jury duty until March 9th, 2015! Yes!

In other exciting news, I've saved up enough sick days that I can take off from work at 37-weeks pregnant (3 weeks before I'm due, and less than 3 weeks from today), starting on March 16th, and not lose any of my salary. I'll have to go back to work for finals week, but it'll just be a 4-day week consisting of one half-day and 3 two-hour days of exam proctoring. It's been a good day!

*Non-stress test not so bad after all; merely time consuming. I sit in a recliner with a little belt-like contraption velcroed around my stomach, reading my book and pressing a button (think Jeopardy buzzer) whenever I feel Parks move. I have to stay for a minimum of 20 minutes, maybe more -- it all depends on if he's cooperating and being pretty active. Either way, it's 20+ minutes in a recliner, reading a book. Not much different from my favorite summer days, with the exception of being able to hear the baby's little heartbeat steadily drumming on from the machine next to me. Kinda nice, actually.

34 weeks (out of 40) and counting

4 comments:

Rebecca D. Martin said...

NICE! Way to work it, Miriam. And only several more weeks of work left? That just sounds fantastic. I'm glad things are working out this way for you.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't believe a stay at home mom is exempt from jury duty! Sweeeet!

Anonymous said...

You deserve some good days and I hope you have many more.

Grover Thomas Jr. said...

Don't tell Cal as he may not be ready for this yet, but you are going to have so much fun with Parks that you won't have to go to jury duty for much longer than six years. His sister can buy you another six.