Well, it's the end of the semester, and I've only posted, what?, one blog since I started teaching my classes back in August? Ah well.
Tonight, as I was leaving our final exam, I was walking out with one of my students. He's an older guy, as far as students go. In his early 50's, I'd say, with a military background and a life full of transfers, exotic locales, various occupations, and other experiences far different from mine. He gave me the ultimate compliment, one most teachers long to hear but rarely do, if only because we are quite easy to take for granted.
He told me that in all his 40-something years of education, elementary, middle, high, and various colleges here and there, that he learned more in my class this semester than he ever has in any other. Wow. Wow! I told Cal tonight that those words would never come out of a high schooler's mouth, and, if they did, they'd never mean as much as they did from a man wizened by adulthood and the hardships of life.
I post this not to brag, and, for this reason, chose my seldom-used blog as the method rather than silly ol' Facebook. I figure that those of you who still check this page from time to time are the ones who really care, who really know me enough to (hopefully) realize that I don't mean to boast by it. It just might be the first time, after 8 years of teaching blindly and merely hoping that I'm hitting the mark, that anyone has ever vocalized to me that what I do matters, and that I can be assured that I'm doing it well.
What a difference encouragement can make!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Miriam, that is a good night, indeed, and great news. I am so glad he went out of the usual way to say those words to you. 'Tis true! You are a teacher, and what you do matters, and I would have believed that you do it really, really well - but how great to hear it from the mouth of a student.
It's moments like that that make it more precious than gold! A great way to end you semester.
MaryLu
Miriam, that is so wonderful and I'm so thankful to God for the encouragement He sent your way! I already knew it but you wouldn't have ever believed it coming from my lips since you would say I'm just a bit prejudiced. Yay for the 50'ish gent!
Never fear Miriam. What you do matters more than you know and you and your colleagues are making a big difference in people's lives. Merry Christmas to all 3 of you.
I think you're awesome, too. :)
Post a Comment