Perhaps this town is getting better after all. I just had a really fun evening with friends, and, as I sat at the booth in Macon's only Irish pub, I began to realize that I've come a long way in the last almost two years since I moved here. I've gone from not knowing anyone but my sister and brother-in-law to having a very fun group of friends that I can sit and chat with about anything. It was oh-so-close to the group of friends that I had in Athens that met every Friday night for drinks at Mellow Mushroom... the situation that I thought I'd never find again, especially in a small, conservative town in middle Georgia. I'm coming to see that my life is blessed even here, in Macon, where I thought I'd never fit or have folks to whom I could relate. It's nights like these that help me know why I've stayed here for as long as I have.
Quote of the night?
"Vegas is like Epcot, with booze." Thanks, Charlie!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
See, now. These are the encouraging things I need to hear... (I'm so glad for your good evening with friends / revelation about place you are in! I won't even be offended that you rate them comparable to the ol' Mellow Mushroom Crowd.)
Comparable, perhaps, though not the same. MM is and always will be a totally and completely irreplaceable thing. Nothing like it! :)
I got curious again today about the word (and clearly overly-bored), and this is what I discovered: http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2004/02/25.html
I told you it wasn't a compliment! Silly, perhaps. Scatterbrained, yes. Flakey, sometimes, even. But flighty??
Sigh. I suppose I can go on as a flibbertigibbet. At least I'll have fun. And it does come complete with a Middle English derivation.
Oh! That didn't really work, did it?
http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2004/02/25.html
Stink. Check your email.
hahah. I'm laughing so hard at you. One of those defs on that site mentioned "a poetical Anne of Green Gables" and "whimsical" ... that doesn't sound like a bad thing, right? Trust me; I teach Anne of Green Gables, and she's considered a heroine in her own way. Now YOU stop laughing.
Post a Comment