... or so my mother used to tell me. It's a proverb that seems incredibly appropiate at this point. Remember when I boasted so proudly about my packing skills? Well, it seems I spoke to soon. Someone, please, tell me: How do I fit an air mattress, a pillow, a towel, sheets, toilet paper, a mosquito net, AND 3 changes of clothes PER DAY for a week's worth of time in a 3rd world country into one very small suitcase? That's not even mentioning various basic toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothbrush), insect repellant, sunscreen, a jar of peanut butter (!) and two boxes of granola bars (requirements for all of the team members), laundry detergent, and medical supplies. It's just physically impossible, I think. Glad mom's coming to see this humiliationafterthepride; she can help me get it all in there!
Did I mention that I'm really nervous about this trip? I think I did. Mostly about the sports clinic aspect of it, strangely enough. I can handle cold showers and only basic, if any, plumbing. I can even handle doing construction work in the heat. But leading hundreds of Belizean kids in sporting events every afternoon? That sounds absolutely and completely miserable. I mean, I'm the type of girl that all the boys look at and KNOW that they don't want me on their team. I was always picked last growing up in school. And I'm not good at sports for a reason more than that I'm not in shape; I don't LIKE them. Sure, I can sit through and even enjoy an entire baseball game. But here's the thing: watching a bunch of cute boys in uniforms for three hours is a little different than being out there playing with them. (Shhh... don't tell anyone. The fact that I like baseball is one of the reasons guys sometimes think I'm cool. We wouldn't want them to know my little secret, would we?)
So, I'm off to go try to perform a miracle. Or at least ask God to perform the miracle for me. If He could part the Red Sea and change water into wine, surely making my suitcase a bottomless one isn't too much to handle? Then again, maybe he's teaching me that little lesson on pride. Sigh.
ps -- I leave early Saturday morning, and I'll be back next Saturday. The 11th-18th. I'd sure appreciate your thoughts and prayers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I dunno, Miriam - packing for a third world country at all... I'm impressed! Look forward to hearing some good stories :) Will be praying, for sure.
I'm going to laugh my head off at your stuffed suitcase after the way you have teased me unmercifully over my packing for Mexico! NOT REALLY! I'll just join you in praying for a miracle...and hoping that when you figure out how to get it all in there, you will come help me pack again--this time for the Philippines!
The difference in my packing, Mom, and yours for Mexico is in the suitcases. Yours was quite possibly the size of Texas, and mine's a measly Rhode Island. :)
AND....I can't say one thing about only 2 boxes of required granola bars...My luggage was FILLED with food, not air mattresses! WHY don't you carry a bigger suitcase?
The first thing that needs to go is that bulky air mattress. I thought you were gonna be roughing it!
Miriam, I am concerned about the 3 changes of clothes per day. Is this a requirement? Because that's certainly a place you could lighten the load!
Alas, I hope you get it all in and have a wonderful trip!
Peanut butter? I like peanut butter too, but geez.... :) Keep posting while in Belize! I like reading about your travels, even if I lurk in the background and don't make comments. You look FABULOUS in the pix, by the way.
I love that everyone is so concerned! First of all, the air mattress: it's one of those small camping ones ... a Thermarest? It's rolling up and hooking on my backpack. It's required since we're sleeping on concrete floors. The three changes of clothes are b/c we're doing construction in the morning and are wearing long pants, sports clinic in the afternoon and shorts, then night will be for dinner, etc. I'm thinking that's where I'll cut back. Basically, it's just a lot of t-shirts at this point. And the peanut butter ... well, our team is required to bring our breakfasts and lunches for the week, so girls are packing pbutter, boys jelly, and MTW is supplying bread. Any other questions? :)
Lovie ... could your last name possibly be Slug? (I *think* I'm remembering this story correctly!)
Wow. The division of food labor is quite impressive. I might employ similar tactics in future trips.
Post a Comment