11.04.2006

Suffering to increase righteousness

My mother has claimed, in the past, that I am vain. This particular observance of hers was invoked by my rather petulant insistence that she replace the terrible picture of Cal and me that she had on her fridge with one that was more flattering.

Unfortunately, I think that God heard her and agreed. Just last night, He decided to inflict upon me a rather gruesome illness, of sorts. You see, I awoke this morning with a red eye. Not a pink eye, mind you, or even an irritated eye, but a Fire Engine, Candy Apple, -yes- even Bulldawg Red Eye.

There is no other symptom, for the most part. I have no oozing, no crusting, no mucus that so often accompany such an affliction. Just the visible, hideous, monstrous red eye.

This morning, Cal showed up at my door for a jog and recoiled in horror. Unfortunately, I had temporarily forgotten my appearance (as I can't tell it's there unless I'm looking in a mirror) and was offended. Then it all came flooding back.

My dad called an ophthalmologist friend of his who quickly diagnosed my problem as a "Subconjunctive Hemorrhage". Oh, it's nothing to worry about, he says. It'll go away on its own.

IN TWO WEEKS.

That's right, folks. I have to go to church tomorrow with this thing. I have to go to work and face 68 11-year-olds with this thing. I have to go to Rock Eagle for next week's annual field trip with this thing.

God's working on my vanity. Sigh. I suppose He has to chisel away at my sin somehow.

Picture below. If all of Macon can see it, I suppose it's not fair to withhold it from the rest of the world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miriam,
We need to talk ...

Rebecca said...

Oh Mir, poor Mir.

miriam said...

The best part about it all is that, as it heals, it'll turn green and yellow just like a bruise does. Right now, it's got a bit of an orangish tint.

Kinda cool. My students LOVE it.

Janet said...

to bad you did not have it in time for Halloween...oh well there is always next year....you know what Rebecca would say...you are soooo pretty.

Rebecca said...

Did So Pretty make it down to Macon?? How delightful.

Anonymous said...

that is just great! too bad it didn't come a week earlier for halloween!!! he he...