We are currently nearing the end of that glorious week known as Spring Break. For the first part of the holiday, Cal and I went down to Destin to spend some time on the beach and hang out with my mom, two of my sisters, and my nephew (William) and niece (Anna Claire). Despite a couple of days of bad weather, we had a great time and loved being able to spend more time with William and discover what a funny kid Anna Claire has become.
We got back Tuesday night, and Cal's dad came up yesterday afternoon to help Cal build a side to the privacy fence they started last year in our backyard. I used the occasion as motivation to work on the little garden that I started last year next to the cute little shed that the Powell boys built in the project before the fence one.
Last spring, I started out with some black-eyed susans, and, fortunately (miraculously?), 4 out of the 5 that I planted survived to this year. Not so fortunate, however, was the fact that I decided to save a little money (read: be cheap) on the rest of the garden and plant only annuals. Therefore, this year, I was left with four black-eyed susans and, well, a bunch of weedy dirt.
This spring, I committed to not making the same mistake twice. Yesterday Cal and I ventured out to the local nursery for some perennials. I have been thinking about this garden for a few weeks now (and reading every Cottage Living I could find for inspiration), and I knew exactly what I wanted. While I was looking, Cal went inside and struck up a conversation with the owner. Being the good journalist that he is, he left knowing all sorts of facts, like how long they'd been there (70-something years?) and what specific types of weed-killers they'd suggest for the small metropolitan of weeds that has sprung up in our backyard.
Anyway, I left penniless but happy, with Cal's truck loaded down with three shasta daisies, three purple coneflowers, and a dozen baby geraniums (for my window boxes). I also got a deal on two lacecap hydrangeas that the owner wanted to get rid of. I got both for HALF the price that he was asking for one of his other hydrangeas.
Tonight, I went to Lowe's and supplemented with some purple verbena and white phlox. I finished up planting my purchases about half an hour ago.
The best news of all? They're perennials. Every single one of them. Hopefully, if I did everything right, they'll come back year after year. Maybe, one day, you'll see my perennial garden on the cover of Cottage Living. A girl can dream, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It sounds wonderful; perfect for your own cottage! You go, girl!
You can practice in my yard anytime.
I am IMpressed.
Post a Comment