6.13.2008

The end of a decade

Today is the last day of my 20's.

If I were to think about it too much, I'm sure I'd eventually make myself sad. You know, the whole passage of time, inevitability of death, can't ever go back to re-live a moment thoughts. However, much to the aggravation of first my parents, then my professors, and now my husband, I don't tend to worry too much about things in the future.

The good news is that my life has become more fulfilling as I've gotten older. I didn't gain much confidence until I was in my mid-20's, and the friendships that I developed in those years and since then are the ones that I truly believe will last a lifetime, along with only a couple from my younger days. I can only hope that this new decade ahead of me will bring other such friendships that I'll cherish just as deeply.

My hair stylist, Tommy, encouraged me the other day by claiming that "if you thought your 20's were good, just wait till your 30's!" He said that people take you more seriously when you're older, and that's a good thing. I asked him if it'd work with my 15-year-old students, and he gave me this kinda helpless look, like he didn't think anything would help for that situation. Oh well.

I hope Tommy's right, but my 20's will be a tough act to follow. The years included three trips to Europe, one of which inspired me to get out of my dead-end 6-year relationship with the high school boyfriend, which -in turn- inspired me to dump my dead-end major halfway through grad school and return to my first love ... Literature. The RUF clan, and living with Kelly at Tivoli apartments for three years. Nick the Cat. Boxing on a blow-up ring with Meredith at Ath-fest. Standing appointments at Mellow Mushroom downtown (9:30 Friday nights). Redeemer. My first job. The adoption of Bridget Jones as my pop culture, singleton heroine. Vegas, baby. Finding Cal. Marrying him.

My sweet husband attempted to throw a dinner party on my behalf for tomorrow night, but it's fallen through because, even though he invited nearly 20 people, no one (literally) except for he and Elizabeth (the two instigators) can come. He feels pretty down about it, I think, but I told him not to take it personally. Three years ago, Elizabeth and I invited about 10 or so people out for dinner to celebrate my 27th birthday, and no one showed up except for Charlie, who was over an hour late. It's something about summer birthdays, I think.

So tomorrow night, after a scheduled manicure/pedicure-for-one at noon, Elizabeth, Cal, and I will be having an intimate little celebration at my favorite Macon restaurant (local, of course). We'll have to make it an early night, as Cal and I leave very early the next morning to catch our 9 a.m. flight out of Atlanta to Puerto Rico for our anniversary trip! And next weekend? Rebecca's getting hitched in the oh-so-cool town of Asheville, so we're headed there straight from our flight back into Georgia Thursday night. Not a bad birthday/anniversary celebration in and of itself, I think. So forget those friends-with-plans-on-my-birthday! I'm gonna have a delightful time anyway.

Even if I will be 30.

8 comments:

Marylu said...

Happy Birthday, Miriam! No question, you will enjoy your
30's. Have a great trip. We look forward to seeing you on your stop over in Atlanta.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Miriam!! Hope you have a great trip.

Our Home said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Our Home said...

I don't know what I did with my last comment, but what I was trying to say was HAPPY BIRTHDAY! My 30th was so much fun and it sounds like yours will be too. Wish I could take off on a trip right now-enjoy every minute! Love ya, Lela

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Miriam! May your next 30 be even better than the first 30! I love you!

Grover Thomas Jr. said...

Happy Birthday!
Have a wonderful trip.

Anonymous said...

Happy 30th Birthday Miriam!!! Sorry I'm a little late. I think you're flying to PR right now! Have fun.

Rebecca said...

Hear, hear! 30 is awesome. And what is beyond, so far.

You'd better believe I would have come to your birthday dinner, had I been in Macon!!

Can't wait to see you next weekend.

Happy (late) Birthday to you!