I experienced a rude awakening this morning.
Elizabeth and I have been attending the Young Couples' Sunday School class at First Pres regularly for the last year or so. Today, however, we had signed up to help out with teaching the 5th and 6th grade girls' class while the normal teachers were in some sort of meeting elsewhere in the church. When no one showed up for our class, we decided just to head directly across the hall to study with the Singles for the morning, instead of going to the other side of the church where our class meets.
Expecting to find the normal crowd of girls in their upper 20's/early 30's and the guys in their mid-30's (with the occasional 40ish lurker), we were surprised to find, instead, a completely new batch of folks. We took our spots in the back row and inconspicuously surveyed the room. There were a few people we recognized, but they were past "Graduates" of the group who had married each other and were now on staff as "Singles Ministry Coordinators". The only other females in the room were the wives in these three couples. The fact that we were the only girls, though, was not even close to what caused my dismay.
As introductions were made, I was hit a frightening realization. These new guys were ALL recent graduates of college. Like, 22 or 23. One, a first-year law student at Mercer, answered 25-year-old Elizabeth's question of "So, you just graduated from Georgia?" with a nervously polite, "Yes, Ma'am." Ma'am!!!
Suddenly, Elizabeth and I are not the two "Singles for a Season" in the group. No. We have become the misfit, socially awkward, pathetic "Singles for a REASON". We are the ones that these young guys will go home to laugh about as "those random one or two folks in the class who have been there forever."
Someone tell me, please, when did I get old? And how, pray tell, do I undo it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Miriam (I am not being sarcastic for once)--I have always thought that women, esp. believers, become hotter, if you will, the older they get--they are more confident, more gracious, wiser, etc.--and this counts for A LOT! 18-year-old girls do NOT have the market cornered on female hotness!!
Woohoo! Hear, hear!
Carrie, I sure do miss having you around and hearing you say wonderful things like that. Wise, you are. And hot.
To add insult to injury, I just got back from making an appearance at a friend's annual slip-and-slide party, an event that's always a big hit with all the hip, young Maconites.
One of the regulars from the former Singles' class, the one in which I was still young and fresh and new, spotted me walking up the driveway and headed my way. He's probably, oh, 40-ish. Divorced, single father. His first words to me?
"Hey, Miriam... I sure did think there'd be more folks OUR age here!"
Enough said.
ack!
he was using you in his attempt to feel younger. he was, he was!
Post a Comment