What is it about middle schoolers and their inability to sit in a regular chair for an extended period of time without, spontaneously and inexplicably, falling over and ending up sprawled out on their backs on my classroom floor?
This was always one of my absolute favorite things about teaching middle schoolers, middle school boys in particular. They're always sliding out of their seats and ending up on the floor with a combination confused-mischievious look on their faces. All the time. Like they just couldn't help it. So fun.
This is not limited to middle schoolers. High school students took it to a new level several years ago. As I was in the midst of a profound lecture (I think everything I teach has a seed of the profound)on English literature a call was sounded from somewhere in the back of the room, "Whipeout!" At this point all boys in my class fell out of their desks. They thought it was simply hilarious, and an ingenious plan to disrupt classroom order.
Rob V! Welcome to the most random blogsite ever. I'm assuming that last comment was you?
Y'all, this is the guy who needs to be posting. He has a FABULOUS story about his latest tenant in my old basement apartment, complete with sex, drugs, and gas station graffiti. One day, when I can figure out how to give it the honor it deserves, I'll write about it all...
I guess it (falling out of ones desk) stems from their ever present desire to be charming...the problem with this is that they have no idea that their highly trained and focused educators see no humor in it what so ever and the item highest on our agenda is to educate them with the volumns of knowledge that we contain....ohhh who am I kidding if we didn't think it was funny would we really be writing about it...It makes the day fly by!
high schoolers are crazy, as evidenced by a picture recently posted by one of my former students. i'm posting it on my journal b/c it's such an amazing picture.
6 comments:
This was always one of my absolute favorite things about teaching middle schoolers, middle school boys in particular. They're always sliding out of their seats and ending up on the floor with a combination confused-mischievious look on their faces. All the time. Like they just couldn't help it. So fun.
This is not limited to middle schoolers. High school students took it to a new level several years ago. As I was in the midst of a profound lecture (I think everything I teach has a seed of the profound)on English literature a call was sounded from somewhere in the back of the room, "Whipeout!" At this point all boys in my class fell out of their desks. They thought it was simply hilarious, and an ingenious plan to disrupt classroom order.
Rob V! Welcome to the most random blogsite ever. I'm assuming that last comment was you?
Y'all, this is the guy who needs to be posting. He has a FABULOUS story about his latest tenant in my old basement apartment, complete with sex, drugs, and gas station graffiti. One day, when I can figure out how to give it the honor it deserves, I'll write about it all...
Oh, and they always think it's the funniest thing they've ever seen. Like they don't see people fall out of chairs every few hours or something.
I guess it (falling out of ones desk) stems from their ever present desire to be charming...the problem with this is that they have no idea that their highly trained and focused educators see no humor in it what so ever and the item highest on our agenda is to educate them with the volumns of knowledge that we contain....ohhh who am I kidding if we didn't think it was funny would we really be writing about it...It makes the day fly by!
high schoolers are crazy, as evidenced by a picture recently posted by one of my former students. i'm posting it on my journal b/c it's such an amazing picture.
Post a Comment