Isn't it funny how we can form an attachment to something, simply based on the time of our lives during which we used that object?
Case in point: my little, brown Bible.
Back when I used to live in Athens and went to Redeemer, I was friends with a certain girl there named Meredith. Meredith and I were joined at the hip from the moment we met, and one thing that I loved about her from day one was her tiny, brown Bible. I liked it so very much that I went out and bought one of my very own.
As most of you know, my time at Redeemer was one of huge spiritual growth for me. Not only did God draw me closer to Him during those years, but He also provided me with friends -like Meredith- who became more dear to me than I could have ever imagined. Leaving that church and those friends was the hardest part about leaving Athens.
Every time I looked at my little brown Bible, bought at the beginning of my time at Redeemer, I was reminded of God's blessings in my life and of His faithfulness to pursue me, even through the earlier years that had been much darker.
Every time I looked at my little brown Bible, that is, up until about 8 or 9 months ago. That's when I lost it.
I searched high and low for that thing; I asked around at church, in my Sunday school classroom, the house where we met for Bible study. Nothing. It was gone.
Today, however, the reminder is back. At my request, my sister and her husband picked up a new Bible, exactly like my old one, when they went to the Christian bookstore the other day.
I'm still sad about the loss of the irreplaceable things -the underlinings, the notes, the little mementos that I had stuck in the pages for safekeeping- but just holding that little brown Bible in my hand gives me hope for a bright future, full of the fulfillment of God's promises to me, His daughter. It represents to me a fresh start, and I am overcome with joy and anticipation as I know that the future (with or without a little brown Bible) holds nothing but the God of the Universe's absolute best.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is encouraging!! I love this! Especially that last sentence. Very good thoughts. And I totally know about attaching significant to things, and things reminding of a certain time/place/experience/whatever. Am glad you've got your brown Bible back in a sense, and also that it's new! New and good things are to come, a guarantee...
This may just be the most cleverly appropriate title I've seen yet.
And the post is encouraging, too. Thanks!
Post a Comment