Pictures below. The one of the full garden was taken after I had cut all of the flowers you see in the vases, so you can imagine how much fuller it was just a few minutes prior. And the black-eyed susans are still recovering a bit from the staking they received, so they aren't quite in top form. All those flowers coming from merely two plants! The shastas (b/w the susans and the coneflowers) are a late-blooming variety and are just barely beginning to blossom. And the sunflowers!! I'm thrilled, but can't get up the nerve to cut one or two for decoration. They keep blooming, right? Also, a photo of my sad, dying tomato bush, complete with unripened fruit. There are more tomatoes left than there are leaves, unfortunately. Any suggestions from my gardeners out there? It's too late to start a new one, isn't it?







Oh yeah! I almost forgot the most exciting news of the week. Many of you know that Cal does not eat vegetables unless they come in a can (green beans) or are fried (squash/okra). Yesterday, we took a trip to the farmers' market, where I picked up some okra to sautee (whole, with only a bit of olive oil) for myself. Unencouraged by me (as I had only cooked enough for myself), Cal helped himself when it came time to fix our plates for dinner. He loved it! I ended up cooking the rest of them so he could eat a full helping. He even wanted to buy more today at the Kroger, but he said he couldn't find them when he went. Hurray!
4 comments:
Miriam,WOW! WOW! WOW! What a gorgous garden! Sorry about the tomato saga; those were "your babies!" How sad that you only got one small taste after all that work. M Lu says plant more; you do have time!
Cal looks excited about the okra. And as amy and julie will tell you, 2/4 is more often referred to as 1/2.
I think you need to deep fry those fresh veggies and Cal would like them a lot more. He is a southern boy you know.
I just read his post on the vacation-I'm glad it all worked out.
Miriam - it's Meredith. LOVE the McCarty vase you put the flowers in. :) A bit of MS for your Georgia garden. Miss you - I'll call soon!!
Post a Comment