9.04.2007

Men

I found this article on FoxNews.com highly irritating. Not because of the fact that men like attractive women (don't we all already know that?), but because of the last little part when it talks about how a woman would make her choices on the basis of how attractive she perceived herself to be, and how she was usually pretty on-target as to which guy she could "get" based on her attractiveness level.

Why is this so annoying? It's not because women exhibit this behavior; I actually think that's pretty smart. The problem is that men DON'T. You know what I mean. We all know the guy who shoots too high, who will accept nothing less than a Heidi Klum or a Cindy Crawford, regardless of the fact that he is on par with, oh ... Chris Farley or, um, Rob Schneider, or ... well, Chewie from Star Wars. And I think that the pop culture promotes this idealistic thinking. I mean, other than Shallow Hal (in which the lead actor is anything but attractive, by the way), how many movies can you think of where the ugly or unconventionally attractive girl gets the guy? Very few. And now flip that. How many movies are there where the unattractive guy gets the model-like girl? A million!

So here we are, perpetuating this myth that a guy shouldn't settle for any girl who's not celebrity-worthy in her appearance. A very-much obese guy dismisses a female friend as a dating option because she's "a little overweight" (which actually happened in my sphere of acquaintances, recently). When did this become okay? Has it always been the case? And what has to change in a guy's head before he realizes that he needs to adjust his mindset or else remain single for the rest of his life?

Anyway, just a rant. I can't stand the double standard. Sorry.

No comments: