7.27.2005

Feast or Famine

How many times have I complained of weekends in Macon with nothing to do? No fun band at the Georgia Theater, no cool art festival going on downtown, no booksigning at College Square, no anything that resembles the multitude of cool events that were always happening in Athens? Well. It appears that the reason most weekends in Macon don't have an event that I can attend is because they throw them ALL into one jam-packed weekend, so that it's suddenly impossible to do everything I want to do within a 3-day span of time.

Take this weekend for example. We have something called "Bragg Jam" going on, which is, I *think*, Macon's answer to Athens' Athfest. Art for sale downtown, and you can get tickets or wristbands or something of the sort in order to visit all the different downtown venues where cool bands will be playing. Sounds great. Elizabeth says that, in the past, it's SO packed with people that it's a little overwhelming. Like, everyone in Macon realizes that it's their one chance to actually get out of their houses and do something, so they all converge onto the downtown area in one solid, chaotic mass.

Chaos I can deal with, though, if it means there's something to do. However, in a strange move, the Powers That Be in Macon have also decided that this particular weekend would be a good one for a little event called "Midsummer Macon" that takes place on the Quad at Wesleyan, the opposite end of town from downtown and Bragg Jam. This festival of sorts involves certain carnival-like activities and then, at 8:30 on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, a free movie for the crowds. You know, everyone brings a blanket and a picnic and sits under the stars to watch a family friendly film. Sounds right up my alley. Tomorrow night is Grease, Friday night is Shrek 2, and Saturday night (most exciting) is E.T. However, I can't be two places at once. I can't enjoy the downtown art/music festival AND take advantage of the fun outdoor movie festival. Oh, and a friend of mine in Atlanta is playing a show at a coffee shop there, and he wants me to bring friends and come along. It is at this point (and this point only) that I wish cloning was morally and ethically and scientifically possible. I'm feeling pulled in three different directions.

And most of the time, I sit at home alone with nothing to do. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

On another, unrelated side note, I got an email from my friend Gina today, and she's coming through Macon and stopping for lunch on Monday. Yay! Gina is the epitomy of cool. She is who I strive to be. She and I were in grad school together, and she was the third traveller (along with Rebecca and me) on our very adventurous trip to London in 2003. I LOVE her. She is currently teaching middle school English at a Catholic School in DC. Trying to find a picture already on my computer to post, but it appears the only ones I have are hard copies. And my scanner isn't hooked up. And I don't really know where it is.

Ok, wow, this is a rambler, isn't it? Apologies. I'll just chalk it up to yet another entry that I look back at in a few days and wince. Seem to be lots of those lately.

No comments: