7.25.2005

Girls' Night Out

Read the title. Close your eyes. What images come to mind? Several girls, a few girly drinks like cosmopolitans, fruity martinis, maybe a white zin here or there, a cute bartender with whom everyone is flirting. Ok, ok... at minimum, in a conservative group, perhaps a fun restaurant with the flirting occuring with the waiter, then a cheesy chick flick afterwards.

So, my question is, when did I outgrow that? I receive an email the other day from a girl my age entitled "Girls' Night Out". I get excited. Yeah, man, this is what I've been waiting for. Let's do it. Count me in.

However, I read the invitation and realize, to my utter dismay, that the "Girls' Night Out" is, in actuality, a COOKIE SWAP where we have to bake a dozen cookies and bring them, along with the recipe, to a friend's house so that -joy of all joys- we get to take home an assortment of different goodies AND (if that wasn't fun enough already) the recipes so that we can make them all ourselves!!!!!

Suddenly, I'm feeling not 27, but 72. Maybe my grandmother's computer got hit by a virus and all of her emails are accidentally getting sent to me.

I think I'll grab my walker and hobble to the bathroom; I'm feeling sick at the hokiness of it all. Oh, wait, nevermind. I have to go make cookies.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, Miriam. You speak my mind. I don't know where the invisible line was, but sometimes I feel like I'm on the other side, where I should be thrilled to spend my evenings grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning the kitchen, decorating the house at every possible moment with every spare penny. That's way too hilarious, though, the cookie swap. One time I went to one of those and overbaked my cookies. Yeah, noone else had overbaked her cookies. Just me. Sad.

Carrie said...

Ha ha! You have to draw the line, though, if they ask you to contribute a recipe to the Junior League cookbook.

I feel my age most pronouncedly when I attend similarly food-related events, such as brunches. What is it about copiously-prepared quiches that makes one feel over the hill?

Anonymous said...

Rebel! Throw a girls' night out that includes none of those things!

miriam said...

Update: the cookies, however begrudgingly made, were a hit. Who knew that I'm Martha Stewart, masquarading as a semi-rebellious, non-conformist, wanna-be writer? Making a note to look into creating my own tv show and magazine and home deco line featured at K-Mart. Went to the pool this morning with a friend and her two babies, and she was going on and on about "the white cookies" without knowing those were mine. Perhaps I've found *the* way to infiltrate Macon society? for sabotage purposes only, of course.

And Carrie: you jest, but the Jr. League is beating down my door trying to get me to join. My two closest friends (janet and elizabeth) are members already and can't understand why I about wet my pants laughing every time they invite me to join, too. I'm totally serious.

Rebecca said...

Oh, Miriam. Please tell me you will not consider joining the Junior League. Reassure me. Not, at least until you are either 39 or have two 1/2 children... Whichever comes last. (Also, well-done on the cookiesthatwereasmash. Successful cooking is always a good thing, especially when used for sabotage purposes.)

miriam said...

NEVER. Not even when I am 39 or have 2.5 kids. Not even if they threaten me with my life. I will not join the Jr. League. I can promise you that, Rebecca.