Ok, we've established that I don't have cable. And my reasoning for not having cable is so that I'll get things accomplished. What things? I don't really know, but surely anything other than parking myself on my couch in front of the television is a more wisely chosen path.
For the first evening in over a week, I'm free. No plans, no traveling, no nothing. What do I do? Well, in the productive, efficient world in which I should be living, I'd do the laundry in my clothes hamper, as it's piling up from my various travels. Perhaps I'd read the novel that I checked out from the library the other day (Memoirs of a Geisha. Pretty good, actually. Recommended by Rob Vickery, my former landlord and friend, who teaches AP 11th Grade and Honors 12th at FPD). Maybe I'd mix up the corn and black bean salsa that I'm taking to Bible Study tomorrow night. Then again, my apartment needs cleaning and my dishwasher needs unloading. All equally respectable choices.
But do I do any of these? No. Instead, I go pick up Chick fil A (there are addicting drugs in that chicken, I swear), plop down on my couch, and watch "Average Joe: The Joes Strike Back." Yep. That's right. I'm sad to say that I'm addicted. I find myself, week after week, glued to the set watching my one channel, pulling with all my heart for the adorably geeky "average Joes" and hating, with a passion, the models/actors who have come in to ruin the Joes' chances with the beautiful girl. And what's even more embarrassing is that this isn't even a well-made reality show. It's TERRIBLE. bad acting, bad editing, you name it, it's bad. Like the ghetto version of "Joe Millionaire", which all of my Athens friends got together to watch and laugh at a few years ago. What will become of me? Am I doomed to live a lazy existence, feasting on fast food and bad reality tv? Have the spoils of my weekend in Savannah forever ruined my resolve to regain my intellectuality (is that a word?) in this black hole of all culture and academia that is Macon, Georgia?
On a lighter note, I've had a really good day up until this latest epiphany that revealed my gluttony. Went to the pool this morning with a new friend and her two little babies. She grew up in Macon, but she's been living in Colorado until recently when she and her husband moved back to be nearer to her family. They only have one car, and he takes it to work every day, so she's been trapped at home with the two kids every day. Just found out about this last night, or I'd have been over there more often. Sitting at the pool, ya know, is such a sacrifice.
Spent a lazy afternoon reading, napping a little, watching Oprah (of course) and corresponding some through email with an old friend from high school, who I haven't heard from in 7 years or so. He's considering a career move to teaching English, and wrote wanting my opinion. It's been refreshing catching up, and a lot of fun!
So. Guess I'll hit that laundry pile and the dishes in the sink. No more Reality Show for this girl... at least until the season finale tomorrow night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So. I found myself watching the finale of Average Joe tonight. Why, I'm not sure. I hadn't watched ANY of the previous episodes this season. But somehow, as I was doing my "I'm too tired to get off the couch" channel flipping, that was where I landed. And, actually, when I think back, it seems that I watched last season's finale, as well, after not having watched the entire season. ANYWAY. I have to agree, Miriam, the acting, er, uh, reality was awful; but it sucked me in. And I'm so glad that Nathan guy won. For SO many reasons. She was agonizing over the choice? I mean seriously. First of all, the pretty boy's name was Rocky. Bad news from the start. (I hope I'm not offending some really great reader you have out there named Rocky. I actually knew a guy named Rocky, once, and he was a tap dancer, or clogger was it? . . but I digress.) Second, if she couldn't see that he was acting, and doing a terrible job of it at that, she's crazy. It was obvious that this show was his bad idea for a hollywood audition and he happened to meet this chick along the way. I'm not saying Nathan was all that, but if she wanted any chance of continuing a relationship for more than 2 hours after the show was over, she made the right choice. I can't believe it was even a question. I mean, Nathan asked for her childhood photos.
So, Miriam, I assume you were watching. You can now know that you were joined in the mind-numbing activity by someone from across the miles. I totally understand the phenomenon of how "I'm going to do something productive with this sweet free time" turns into "I just spent two hours watching Street Smarts and Blind Date on WGN. What the heck?". I'll keep working on it.
Hurrah! Nathan won?!? I didn't get to see it ... was at Bible Study (GOT to get those priorities straight. I mean, who misses bad reality tv for something as trivial as Bible Study?). Yay for the average Joe!
Post a Comment