7.13.2005

Obsessions

I think I stole this idea from Rebecca, but I don't think she'll mind.

With my personality, I've noticed that I tend to get fixated on certain things at certain points of my life. Some of the obsessions stay constant over a long period of time, others last only a few days. I thought I'd list my top ten here. So, in no particular order...

- Harry Potter. I've been rereading Book 5 in anticipation of the latest installment coming out on Friday. It's SO good. I had forgotten how good. I think that the last time I read it, I was going so fast in order to get it all in that I didn't really appreciate it. I *love* it. Can't wait until Friday, midnight. Perhaps Julie, whom I'll be visiting, will want to make a trip to the local "I'm a Harry Potter freak so get over it" bookstore gathering? I hope so!

- Boys. This one pretty much stays around, although the fulfillment of this obsession wans from time to time. One of the best things about being single is that I get to have really fun guy friends in my life with whom to hang out, flirt, etc, without feeling an ounce guilty. There's just something about talking to a boy either on the phone or in person that can't be duplicated in a conversation with a girl-friend. Perhaps it's the simplicity of boys, or the straightforwardness? Then again, maybe it's just that they're adorable. Either way, just this week, I had three different single men call me within a 24-hour span of time. SO fun. Feast or famine with this one, though, I tell you.

- Thomas's Light English Muffins. I don't know what it is, but I have gotten to where I have to have one of these little babies every morning for breakfast. Toasted, with light butter and my mom's homemade fig preserves (3 points!). I have it with a cup of English Breakfast tea, and my morning is complete. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that I'm not eating these until after I get up late around 10 in the morning.

- The Price is Right. This show will never get old.

- Patty Griffin. She's been an obsession for quite a while now. I thought I had lost the two cds of hers that I have in my move, and I got really upset. Like, almost hysterical upset. But they were found, thanks to Beth, and all is right in the world again.

- Fresh Cream Peas. I think that's what they're called. It's the tiny little green peas that you can only buy from somewhere like the farmer's market in the summer in the South. I got a bushel of them for the first time this year, and I can't get enough. I did all the Southern Housewife things with them ... blanched them, froze them in little plastic bags ("putting peas up" is how we know it here), and, when I cook them, I feel like my mother. I've been eating them with other veggies like sauteed squash and vidalia onions, mushrooms, okra, and with wild or white rice. Yummy.

- Wednesday Night Bible Study. I've decided that never this summer will I be gone on a Wednesday night. With not having work, and with most of my travels wiping out the possibility of going to First Pres on Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights have become my time to see everyone in this town that I know. Plus, Chip Miller's teaching it (he's FPC's pastor), and he's great. I get the fun opportunity to help him and Chris Robbins (formerly of Cord of Three) lead the music.

- Ben Jones. He's the weather forecaster at 13WMAZ, the local television station, and, since I currently only have two channels, he's kinda the highlight of my tv-watching day. Yeah, he's a cutie. And some of my friends know him!

- Mexican Food. I used to hate it. Any one of my family or friends can vouch for that. I was the loser in college who prevented the others from going where they always wanted to go (Mexicali Grill) because of my strange dislike for tacos, burritos, and quesadillas. But let me tell you, something has changed. for the past year, I've loved it. So much so that I can't seem to get it enough. Poor Elizabeth ... anytime we go out for dinner, I either want El Azteca, Margaritas, Moe's, or Caliente's. I can't help it!

- Skirts. I've been wearing them everyday. I mean, I haven't been wearing shorts in public for quite a few years, and I've been replacing them with jeans or capris, which are both SO hot. Why has it taken me so long to realize that, in a skirt, I can get all of the benefits of shorts and look cuter and more girly and feel pretty all at the same time? Perhaps it's just because they're in style right now. Either way, I don't think I'll ever give up this one.

There you have it. More than any of you ever wanted to know about my current life.

Must go... The Showcase Showdown is on!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Harry Potter. Boys. Patty Griffin. Skirts. Even Mexican Food. Amen. This is why you're my friend, Miriam.

(It's about time people realized the wonders of wearing skirts! For almost all occasions. The best item of clothing. And you explained it so well. Poor boys.)

miriam said...

Yay! I love it that I have things in common with you, Rebecca, because it means that maybe, in some strange way like by association, I'm a little bit cool, too. I wanted to add "nose rings" to the list, but thought that might just put my mom over the edge, as she's been stressing out bigtime over my casual mentioning that I thought they were cool. If I blog about it, my love for them might become a little more official, and that won't do. Sigh.

On another note, I just talked to Julie. Appears that Greenwood, SC, will not be having an "I'm a Harry Potter freak so get over it" bookstore gathering at midnight on Friday. She suggested Wal-Mart, but that's not gonna cut it. Maybe we'll drive to Greenville, an hour away. Hey, Nellie!!! You're in Greenville, right? Wanna go Harry Pottering with me?!?

Rebecca said...

Did I make the cool list??? Nobody told me. That is interesting news. I'm glad to know. Who else is on it??

I definitely think you should go for the nose ring. It would look great. You just have to watch out for the rhinestone falling out. Danger, danger.

And Greenville. Midnight. Friday. If y'all are there, so'm I.

Anonymous said...

hey are you in macon? cause i am & we could get together... if not; we'll be back next weekend.

miriam said...

jenny -- I'm in SC right now. Next weekend, I'll be in Savannah. Sad.

Anonymous said...

s'ok. i'm sure we'll get to macon again!