This morning, at a ridiculously early time (4:30 am), I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. This happens to me on occasion; usually it's a sign that I'm anxious about something. Remember earlier this summer, when it was happening a good bit right before I left to go to Belize and when I was about to move? Trying to figure out what's got me going this time.
I'm a really laid back person, for the most part. I tend to take things as they come, and I rarely worry about things. I don't get flustered easily, and I work best when I'm under pressure. But. there's this one recurring sign that something's on my mind, and that's that I don't sleep well. It's the only indication that I usually have of my being under any kind of pressure.
I'm thinking this time it must be the approaching school year. Sure, I love my job. However, there are so many unknowns going into each new year. Will my new class be good (like last year's) or terrible (like the year before)? Will I be able to challenge them like I should? Will I set a good example, be a good role model for them? One of the toughest parts about teaching middle school is that I always have in the back of my mind the knowledge of how impressionable these kids are, that one thing I say, or don't say, could affect them for years to come. They're still at that age where what I say and think matters to them, and I do all I can to build them up, but there are some days when I'm tired or grumpy or whatever and I get irritated and snap at someone who may not particularly deserve it.
I know I'm starting to get nervous about the upcoming year when the anxiety dreams start. Crazy, I know. But I won't even be thinking a bit about school during the daytime, and -all of a sudden- I'm having these wacky dreams. My first year, I remember dreaming that I couldn't find my classroom, and I missed practically the entire first day of school. Last year (after my first year of particularly bad students), I dreamed that I couldn't control my classes and got chastised by my principal. I remember vividly dreaming that I was standing in front of the room, yelling and pleading and almost in tears because they wouldn't be quiet, and then she walks in to see the chaos. And it's already started this year, too. A couple of nights ago, I dreamed that I had to be out the entire first week of school for some reason, so that, by the time I got there, the students had gotten so used to the substitute that they refused to acknowledge me as their permanent teacher. All very amusing upon telling. However, these dreams are a little stressful when I'm trying to sleep in the middle of the night!
I had anxiety dreams in college and graduate school, too. One of them I remember well, especially since I still have it from time to time when I'm stressed out for some reason or another. In this dream, I've forgotten that I've registered for a class until a good bit past the midpoint of the semester, which is the cutoff point for withdrawing. I realize my mistake right before final exam time, so I have to show up and take it with no notes, no knowledge of the material, and no chance whatsoever of passing the class. It's my one recurring nightmare.
What's funny is that, once daylight comes, I'm completely back to my normal, no worries, self. But I know, once the dreams and sleepless nights start, I'm nervous.
So, School, here we go again. Welcome to another year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Did I ever tell you about the time I forgot to withdraw from a class during drop-add, but thought I had done it? For real. I realized it one month into the semester. Fortunately, it was only glee club, and I hadn't missed any concerts yet, so the guy let me show up and sing and he didn't fail me. Phew. An F in glee club would've sucked.
I am so glad you brought Team Elizabeth into the blog. Wow. We don't have any pictoral evidence of the Most Random Road Trip Ever, do we? (Besides the dent Bryan left in the front bumper of my car...)
Hey Mir,
Can I call you that...? Thats what your screen name said. Anyway, yeah link away. I don't mind in the least. I might do the same. I'm a lazy blogger so it might not happen for a while.
-r
I had those dreams! i would dream that some student would throw a desk & stuff. even tho that would never happen at my school, or if it did they'd be expelled or something. ugh... i don't miss those dreams. i'll probably have them again when I sign up to sub.
"I always have in the back of my mind the knowledge of how impressionable these kids are, that one thing I say, or don't say, could affect them for years to come."
there's grace for that.
remember, grace doesn't just apply to our past, or our big sins, but also to everyday life. God is big enough! don't worry about the little things, God will be in the big moments that touch their lives!
Team Elizabeth is totally from jras's wedding! I had forgotten that she's completely the reason for that so fun road trip (along with Matt, of course). I have a picture of me and you, Rebecca, and one of Bryan, that she gave me from her wedding photos. It's crazy. A good picture, though. Sure wish I could find my scanner!
And, Jenny: thanks for the encouragement. I take such advantage of God's grace, that I often forget its purpose, or even that it's there. Thanks for the reminder!
Find your stinkin' scanner and send me those photos!
Found the scanner but it's not registering on my computer, for some reason. Hmm. Sorry. No pics until I can get my bro-in-law, Matt, over here to work his computer genius magic.
Post a Comment